How is nocturia treated?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

If you produce more than one-third of your daily output of urine at night, you may suffer from nocturnal polyuria (excessive excretion of urine at night). Polyuria is uncommon. Its cure is pretty straightforward: rule out diabetes or more serious medical conditions, and simply drink less fluid at night. Diuretics, to help rid your body of excess fluids, are sometimes suggested, and the drug demopression (DDAVP), a medicine that reduces urine production, is often prescribed for use at bedtime.

If you produce more urine at night than during the day, you suffer from nocturnal detrusor overactivity (overactive bladder muscles at night). Behavior modification is the least invasive way to deal with this problem. In the event that that fails, medications such as DDAVP, diuretics, and anticholinergics and tricyclic antidepressants (Ditropan, Detrol) may be used to stop involuntary bladder contractions.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence Treatment