How do I contract my pelvic floor muscles when doing Kegel exercises?

When doing Kegel exercises (exercises for the pelvic floor muscles), practice both short contractions and releases (sometimes called "quick flicks") and longer ones (gradually increasing the strength of the contraction and holding it at your maximum for up to 10 seconds). Consciously relax the muscles between each repetition, and hold the relaxation phase for the same amount of time as the contraction.

Keep other muscles relaxed. When doing pelvic floor exercises, don't contract your abdominal, leg, or buttock muscles or lift your pelvis. Place a hand gently on your belly to detect unwanted abdominal action.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence Treatment