How do I contract my pelvic floor muscles when doing Kegel exercises?

When doing Kegel exercises (exercises for the pelvic floor muscles), practice both short contractions and releases (sometimes called "quick flicks") and longer ones (gradually increasing the strength of the contraction and holding it at your maximum for up to 10 seconds). Consciously relax the muscles between each repetition, and hold the relaxation phase for the same amount of time as the contraction.

Keep other muscles relaxed. When doing pelvic floor exercises, don't contract your abdominal, leg, or buttock muscles or lift your pelvis. Place a hand gently on your belly to detect unwanted abdominal action.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence Treatment

What is bladder neck suspension surgery for urinary incontinence?
May M. Wakamatsu, MDMay M. Wakamatsu, MD
Bladder neck suspension is a surgical procedure for women with stress incontinence that elevates...
Who should avoid using vaginal weighted cones to strengthen pelvic muscles?
Some women find that using vaginal weighted cones helps boost the power of their pelvic floor ex...
How Is Botox Being Used for Incontinence?
What Treatments Are Available for Urinary Incontinence?