How does a voiding diary help with urinary incontinence treatment?

Ja-Hong Kim, MD
Urology
If you have incontinence, your doctor may ask you to keep a voiding diary for two reasons. One, it allows you to gather some objective data about your voiding pattern. You could say, "I go a lot," but if you actually write it down, you will discover more details, such as that you might go in the morning after drinking a cup of coffee, or in response to more fluid on any day, or because you had a glass of wine. Two, a voiding diary helps your doctor know exactly how often you’re going and exactly how many times you’re leaking, which gives him or her an idea of a baseline and any improvement that’s going to come after treatment.

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
You may be asked to keep a voiding diary (anywhere from one to seven days) in which you note your fluid intake at specific times, the approximate amount of urine eliminated (through voiding or leakage), the times these events occurred, and your activity level at the time of the actual leakage. This is a simple way to show your specialist how your bladder is functioning and what tests should be considered next.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence Treatment