How does a woman provide a urine sample for testing?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

In order to get an uncontaminated specimen, your doctor may ask you to provide a “midstream” urine sample. Here’s what you’ll have to do:

1. Spread your labia (the lips of your vagina) with your fingers.

2. Use the moist towelette that is provided and carefully wipe from front
   to back.

3. Start to urinate in the toilet.

4. Once you’ve released urine for a second or two, don’t stop, and place
   the cup underneath you to catch the midstream flow.

5. Remove the cup and finish voiding into the toilet.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinalysis

Why is a urinalysis test done for a overactive bladder?
A urinalysis is a test of urine that can reveal the presence of blood, sugar or infection in the...
What is the purpose of urine tests?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Urinalysis or urine testing is used to look for abnormalities such as an excess amount of protein, b...
How can a urinalysis diagnose overactive bladder?
A urinalysis can help diagnose overactive bladder by detecting urinary tract infections (UTIs). ...
What is a urinalysis?
A urinalysis is a very common test in which a sample of urine is examined in a laboratory. Your doct...