What causes upper GI bleeding?

There are actually many things that might cause upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding. Ulcers and other conditions where the lining of the stomach or esophagus might become inflamed can cause upper GI bleeding. Some of those conditions could be triggered by prolonged use of some drugs, such as aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Extreme vomiting could possibly cause small tears along the GI tract, and there could be some issues with enlarged veins in the esophagus and stomach that could cause upper GI bleeding. Additionally, upper GI bleeding could be a sign of cancer or even tumors that are benign.

Continue Learning about Upper GI Bleeding

How do other illnesses affect upper GI bleeding?
Different illnesses can be the cause of upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding, since the bleeding is ...
How do I manage my upper GI bleeding on a daily basis?
Upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding really can't be managed on a daily basis. Sometimes you might n...
Is there a cure for upper GI bleeding?
Upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding is usually a symptom of a health condition. It can be control...
Are there alternative treatments for upper GI bleeding?
If you suspect any upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding, see your doctor as soon as possible. The be...