Can upper GI bleeding have any complications?

Yes, upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding can have complications, even though it already is a complication of something else. With your doctor's assistance, you need to determine why you are having issues with upper GI bleeding. If you suspect you have a little bit of bleeding, but don't go to the doctor, you could be losing more blood than you think you are, because you can't feel the internal bleeding. This could lead to anemia, which untreated could cause you to become disoriented and weak or dizzy. If you are vomiting large amounts blood or passing blood in your stool as a result of upper GI bleeding, you could have a serious issue with ruptured blood vessels along the GI tract or something even more serious. Losing lots of blood could send you into shock and needs to be treated immediately before it becomes life-threatening, causing reduced blood flow to the brain or even death.

Continue Learning about Upper GI Bleeding

Should I talk to my doctor about my upper GI bleeding symptoms?
You need to see your doctor to discuss your symptoms if you are showing signs of upper gastrointesti...
What are the symptoms of upper GI bleeding?
Sometimes gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding does not present very obvious symptoms, but is serious ...
What increases my risk for upper GI bleeding?
There are many different risk factors for GI bleeding. Most times, GI bleeding is found in those...
Is upper GI bleeding serious?
When it occurs, upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding can be very serious and should not be taken lig...