Is upper GI bleeding serious?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
Upper GI bleeding is serious if large amounts of blood are lost very quickly. When this happens the body is not able to get enough blood to vital organs. Esophageal varices (varicose veins of the esophagus) and ulcers may cause serious upper GI bleeding.

When it occurs, upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding can be very serious and should not be taken lightly. It could indicate tears or ruptures in the vessels and lining of the GI tract, or it could mean that an ulcer has perforated, creating a hole somewhere in the lining as well. Vomiting any amount of blood is serious, and any blood noticed in your stool needs to be taken seriously as well. Upper GI bleeding means something else is going on, so left untreated, any problem may just get worse. Extreme upper GI bleeding can require blood transfusions, or even surgery, so go to your doctor immediately if you suspect any upper GI bleeding.

Continue Learning about Upper GI Bleeding

How do I manage my upper GI bleeding on a daily basis?
Upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding really can't be managed on a daily basis. Sometimes you might n...
What are the treatment options for upper GI bleeding?
Some of the treatment options for upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding will depend on the reason for...
What increases my risk for upper GI bleeding?
There are many different risk factors for GI bleeding. Most times, GI bleeding is found in those...
Are there alternative treatments for upper GI bleeding?
If you suspect any upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding, see your doctor as soon as possible. The be...