What is undescended testis?

Undescended testis is a condition in which one or both testicles do not descend to the scrotum before birth. Normally, when a male baby is developing in the womb, the testicles grow within the abdomen, then descend through a channel in the groin to come to rest in the scrotum, a sack of skin behind the penis. Undescended testes, however, fail to come down either in part or at all, remaining up in the abdomen or somewhere in the channel between the abdomen and scrotum.

Continue Learning about Undescended Testis

How is undescended testis related to inguinal hernias?
A case of undescended testis can weaken and widen the inguinal canal, allowing a hernia to develop i...
How do I manage my undescended testis on a daily basis?
If you were born with undescended testis, it is important to know the long-term health effects and h...
How can undescended testis cause testicular torsion?
An undescended testis is more vulnerable to becoming twisted up on its spermatic cord, a condition c...
How do other illnesses affect undescended testis?
Because undescended testis is a physical condition, it is not affected by other illnesses. In fact, ...