How can undescended testis cause testicular torsion?

An undescended testis is more vulnerable to becoming twisted up on its spermatic cord, a condition called testicular torsion. When torsion occurs, blood flow to the testicle is cut off and severe pain follows quickly. Even worse, without prompt medical attention the testicle may become damaged beyond repair and have to be removed.

Continue Learning about Undescended Testis

How is undescended testis diagnosed?
The Mount Sinai Health SystemThe Mount Sinai Health System
An undescended testicle (cryptochoridism) is a testicle that hasn’t correctly descended into its pro...
What increases my risk for undescended testis?
The greatest risk factors for undescended testis are low birth weight and premature birth. Any facto...
How do other illnesses affect undescended testis?
Because undescended testis is a physical condition, it is not affected by other illnesses. In fact, ...
Does an undescended testis mean my son is intersex?
Blood and genetic tests, and not undescended testes, are the key to determining whether a child is i...