How can undescended testis cause testicular torsion?

An undescended testis is more vulnerable to becoming twisted up on its spermatic cord, a condition called testicular torsion. When torsion occurs, blood flow to the testicle is cut off and severe pain follows quickly. Even worse, without prompt medical attention the testicle may become damaged beyond repair and have to be removed.

Continue Learning about Undescended Testis

How is undescended testis related to inguinal hernias?
A case of undescended testis can weaken and widen the inguinal canal, allowing a hernia to develop i...
Does undescended testis affect children differently than adults?
Although undescended testis is a condition that affects infants, the side effects can last a lifetim...
How do I manage my undescended testis on a daily basis?
If you were born with undescended testis, it is important to know the long-term health effects and h...
Does an undescended testis mean my son is intersex?
Blood and genetic tests, and not undescended testes, are the key to determining whether a child is i...