How is undescended testis related to inguinal hernias?

A case of undescended testis can weaken and widen the inguinal canal, allowing a hernia to develop in the lower abdomen. Normally the inguinal canal allows the passage of the testes from the abdomen to the scrotum, and then closes up nearly completely. With an inguinal canal weakened from testes that failed to descend, or only descended partway, the passage is left vulnerable to pressure put on the intestines - straining during a bowel movement or doing heavy lifting - which can result in a hernia.

Continue Learning about Undescended Testis

How do I manage my undescended testis on a daily basis?
If you were born with undescended testis, it is important to know the long-term health effects and h...
How can undescended testis cause testicular torsion?
An undescended testis is more vulnerable to becoming twisted up on its spermatic cord, a condition c...
Does undescended testis affect children differently than adults?
Although undescended testis is a condition that affects infants, the side effects can last a lifetim...
How does undescended testis affect the body?
Although there are no immediate complications from an undescended testis, health problems can occur ...