How does undescended testis affect the body?

Although there are no immediate complications from an undescended testis, health problems can occur later in life. An undescended testicle is more prone to problems, since it is trapped within the warm core of the body and cannot regulate its temperature as in the scrotum. There is an increased risk of developing testicular torsion, a painful condition that can kill the testicle, as well as higher risks of hernias in the groin and testicular cancer. Men who were born with undescended testicles may also have low fertility later in life.

Continue Learning about Undescended Testis

Does undescended testis run in families?
Although no clear links have been established, it appears that there is a genetic link to increased ...
How do I manage my undescended testis on a daily basis?
If you were born with undescended testis, it is important to know the long-term health effects and h...
What are the symptoms of undescended testis?
There are no immediate symptoms of undescended testes. Apart from the obvious lack of one or both te...
Is undescended testis serious?
Although there are no immediate health concerns caused by undescended testis, long-term side effects...