What do I need to know about caring for someone with undescended testis?

Providing care for a son with undescended testis means being aware of the long-term effects of the condition. If one or both testicles were removed because they were too damaged to save, or your son was born without one or both testicles, you should make an effort to communicate early and often with him about his appearance. He will likely be very sensitive about it, and you should take steps to reinforce the idea that your son is a perfectly healthy boy despite his differences. Keep an eye out for signs of anxiety as your son grows older, particularly when he's faced with being around other boys in changing rooms. Offer to buy him boxer shorts or loose-fitting swim trunks to provide some peace of mind. You should also discuss the possibility of cosmetic testicular implants and let your son know that's an option if he's interested.

You should also educate yourself and your son on the long-term side effects of the condition, particularly the increased risk of testicular cancer. As your son approaches puberty, explain how he can check himself for lumps on his testicles.

Continue Learning about Undescended Testis

How do I manage my undescended testis on a daily basis?
If you were born with undescended testis, it is important to know the long-term health effects and h...
How is undescended testis diagnosed?
An undescended testis is easily diagnosed by its absence from the scrotum. The doctor will use his f...
How is undescended testis related to inguinal hernias?
A case of undescended testis can weaken and widen the inguinal canal, allowing a hernia to develop i...
Should I talk to my doctor about my son's undescended testis symptoms?
As your doctor will likely have diagnosed undescended testis at birth, he or she will want to keep a...