How common are undescended testicles in male babies?

One of the most common conditions that the pediatric urologist deals with is the undescended testicle. Originally forming in the retroperitoneum (the back part of the abdomen) and then descending to the inguinal canal and then into the scrotum, the undescended testicle occurs in nearly 3 percent of all children born. A good portion of these children will have the testis descend into the scrotum within the first year of life.

Continue Learning about Undescended Testis

What increases my risk for undescended testis?
The greatest risk factors for undescended testis are low birth weight and premature birth. Any facto...
Does undescended testis run in families?
Although no clear links have been established, it appears that there is a genetic link to increased ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with undescended testis?
Providing care for a son with undescended testis means being aware of the long-term effects of the c...
Are there other names for undescended testis?
Undescended testis can go by a variety of other names, the most common being cryptorchidism. Another...