Why would I need a venous ultrasound?

A venous ultrasound is an imaging technique that looks at the veins in the legs or the arms.

Venous ultrasound is the gold standard for the diagnosis of deep venous thrombosis (DVT), which is a life-threatening condition but which can be treated when diagnosed. Venous ultrasound also is available to help determine the cause of varicose veins. Positioning patients and using blood pressure cuffs can help show whether venous reflux is present. Knowing the status of venous reflux assists the physician in determining appropriate treatment options.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Ultrasonography

What is a cranial ultrasound?
A cranial ultrasound is a type of imaging test that looks at either the blood flow within the brain ...
What is an intravascular ultrasound (IVUS)?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS), like any form of ultrasound, uses sound waves to create images ...
What is Doppler ultrasound?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A Doppler ultrasound test uses high-frequency sound waves to evaluate the flow of blood in your bloo...
What questions should I ask my doctor about Transcranial Doppler (TCD)?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about a transcranial Doppler (TCD) test....