What is Doppler ultrasound?

A Doppler ultrasound test uses high-frequency sound waves to evaluate the flow of blood in your blood vessels. It is one of the most common tests used to diagnose peripheral vascular disease (PVD). Doppler ultrasound can be used to evaluate blood vessels in your legs, neck, or abdomen. Here’s what happens during a Doppler ultrasound test:
  • Getting ready. You’ll change into a gown and lie down on an exam table.
  • Gel. Depending on the area being studied, a technician will put water-based gel on segments of your legs or on your neck.
  • Ultrasound. A Doppler ultrasound device, called a transducer, will be moved along your skin in the area that is being studied. The transducer uses high-velocity sound waves to evaluate the blood flow through your blood vessels. The test can show narrowed blood vessels, blood clots, or areas where the blood is flowing backward.
  • Cleaning up. At the end of the test, the technician will wipe off the ultrasound gel so that you can dress to go home.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Ultrasonography

Why would I need a venous ultrasound?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
A venous ultrasound is an imaging technique that looks at the veins in the legs or the arms.
What is a cranial ultrasound?
A cranial ultrasound is a type of imaging test that looks at either the blood flow within the brain ...
What should I ask my doctor about an intravascular ultrasound?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having intravascular ultrasoun...
Can endoscopic ultrasound help diagnose lung disease?
Citrus Memorial HospitalCitrus Memorial Hospital
Endoscopic ultrasounds can be used to diagnose lung disease. The ultrasound machine can help doctors...