How does an ultrasound scan work?

Sonography for diagnostic imaging purposes, otherwise known as an ultrasound scan, employs frequencies of 1 million to 20 million cycles per second. These are produced by a device known as a transducer, which is placed directly on, and occasionally within, the patient. The device contains a material that vibrates upon receiving a voltage charge. Sound waves are then created and either transmitted, refracted, or reflected back to a receiver. The degree of reflection is based on applied frequency, the sound velocity, and the acoustic impedance of the tissue. In other words, different tissues will have different responses to the sound waves.
Ultrasound uses sound waves that are emitted at a higher frequency than humans can hear. A hand-held wand called a transducer is pressed against the skin. This transducer sends out the sound waves, which bounce off the structures inside the body. These sound waves are then picked up by the transducer as they bounce back. A computer converts the sound waves into two-dimensional moving pictures.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Ultrasonography

What questions should I ask my doctor about Transcranial Doppler (TCD)?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about a transcranial Doppler (TCD) test....
What is an intravascular ultrasound (IVUS)?
SCAISCAI
A physician will sometimes want to gather highly detailed images of the coronary arteries, which sup...
What should I ask my doctor about an intravascular ultrasound?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having intravascular ultrasoun...
Why would I need a venous ultrasound?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
A venous ultrasound is an imaging technique that looks at the veins in the legs or the arms.