What should I expect during carotid ultrasound?

Stroke neurologist Dr. Carolyn Brockington explains what a patient can expect when they undergo a carotid ultrasound screening. Watch Dr. Brockington's video for important tips and information about the health of your brain.

Carotid Ultrasound is a Doppler test of the carotid artery in the neck using some gel and a Doppler probe on the skin. It does not hurt and there is no dye or radiation involved. There is no specific preparation for the test ahead of time.

This test gives information about plaque build up and blockage of the carotid arteries.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Ultrasonography