Who is most likely to develop a penetrating ulcer?

Patients who develop a penetrating ulcer usually have atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), hypertension (high blood pressure), and back or chest pain. Many are current or former smokers.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
Are duodenal ulcers serious?
In most causes, duodenal ulcers are not serious. They usually respond well to treatment and do n...
What is a penetrating ulcer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
A penetrating ulcer, also called penetrating atherosclerotic ulcer, is a rare condition that most co...
What Are the Treatment Options for Ulcers?