What is a penetrating ulcer?

A penetrating ulcer, also called penetrating atherosclerotic ulcer, is a rare condition that most commonly develops in the descending aorta. It occurs when plaque in the aorta from atherosclerosis forms ulcers that penetrate the aortic wall. By damaging the aortic wall, penetrating ulcers put patients at risk for aortic dissection or rupture. Although the appearance of a penetrating ulcer may resemble an aortic aneurysm or dissection on imaging scans, its cause, atherosclerosis, is unique.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
How common are ulcers?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Generally, ulcers are relatively common conditions. One in ten Americans will develop a peptic ulcer...
Can ulcers have any complications?
Michael S. Frist, MDMichael S. Frist, MD
Peptic ulcers are ulcers that occur in either the stomach or first portion of the small intestine (d...
How Do People Get Ulcers and What Cures Them?