What is a duodenal ulcer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A duodenal ulcer is a kind of peptic ulcer in which a sore is formed in the duodenum, or the first part of the small intestine. A common problem, duodenal ulcers are usually caused by bacteria, although doctors in the past considered them the result of spicy foods and stress. Unless they are caused by rare forms of cancer, duodenal ulcers respond well to treatment.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
Are refractory ulcers serious?
Although they can be painful, ulcers that fail to heal are not, in themselves, serious. However, ref...
How common are refractory ulcers?
Peptic ulcers, which account for ulcers in the stomach, small intestine, and esophagus, are very com...
Eat Cranberries for a Healthier Stomach and Mouth.