What is a stomach ulcer?

A stomach ulcer is a sore or erosion that develops on the lining of the stomach. Ulcers can also develop in the esophagus or a part of the small intestine called the duodenum. This can occur for several reasons. Some of the most common include frequent use of anti-inflammatory medications or infection with a bacterium called H. pylori.
Roshini C. Rajapaksa, MD
Gastroenterology

An ulcer is an open sore in the lining of your stomach, small intestine or esophagus. In this video, gastroenterologist Roshini Raj, MD, explains the most common causes of ulcer formation, including H. pylori bacteria and OTC pain relievers. 

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
How common are refractory ulcers?
Peptic ulcers, which account for ulcers in the stomach, small intestine, and esophagus, are very com...
Is a peptic ulcer a common version of ulcers?
Peptic ulcers are very common types of ulcers. In fact, these ulcers in the digestive tract are usua...
Eat Cranberries for a Healthier Stomach and Mouth.