What is a stomach ulcer?

A stomach ulcer is a sore or erosion that develops on the lining of the stomach. Ulcers can also develop in the esophagus or a part of the small intestine called the duodenum. This can occur for several reasons. Some of the most common include frequent use of anti-inflammatory medications or infection with a bacterium called H. pylori.
Roshini C. Rajapaksa, MD
Gastroenterology

An ulcer is an open sore in the lining of your stomach, small intestine or esophagus. In this video, gastroenterologist Roshini Raj, MD, explains the most common causes of ulcer formation, including H. pylori bacteria and OTC pain relievers. 

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
Are ulcers contagious?
Ulcers are not contagious. However, peptic ulcers are often caused by a bacterial infection that can...
How can peptic ulcers be prevented?
Some kinds of peptic ulcers are easier to prevent than others. Stress can make you more susceptible ...
What is an Ulcer?
What is an Ulcer?