Should I talk to my doctor about my ulcer symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Whether or not you need to talk to your doctor about your ulcer symptoms depends on the kind of ulcer you think you have, as well as the severity of the pain you are experiencing. If your ulcer symptoms are interfering with your life, it is a good idea to ask your doctor about them. Often, you can treat canker sores (aphthous ulcers) and early stage bed sores (decubitus ulcers) at home. However, it never hurts to ask your doctor for advice. If you are experiencing ulcer symptoms inside your body, such as a peptic ulcer in the digestive tract, you should talk to your doctor. Medicine from the drug store might help you feel better, but it will not address the problem on a long-term basis. An untreated peptic ulcer may cause infection, internal bleeding, or even a build-up of scar tissue in your digestive tract that can impede the flow of food through your body.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
How common are refractory ulcers?
Peptic ulcers, which account for ulcers in the stomach, small intestine, and esophagus, are very com...
Are Meckel's diverticulum ulcers serious?
By itself, a Meckel's diverticulum is not serious and only results in complications for 4.2 percent ...
What is an Ulcer?
What is an Ulcer?