What lifestyle changes should I make if I have an ulcer?

Roshini C. Rajapaksa, MD
Gastroenterology

If you have been diagnosed with an ulcer, you should avoid caffeine, alcohol, and certain pain relievers and steroid medications. In this video, gastroenterologist Roshini Raj, MD, discusses the lifestyle changes you should make if you have an ulcer.

The lifestyle changes your doctor may suggest will depend on the kind of ulcer you have. It is possible that lifestyle changes will not be recommended for your kind of ulcer. If you have a peptic ulcer in your digestive tract, your doctor may suggest that while you heal, you avoid foods that aggravate your pain or produce more stomach acid; decrease stress; quit smoking or drinking; or stop taking anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen. Ask your doctor about lifestyle changes you might need to make for your specific condition.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Ulcers

Ulcers

Ulcers are caused by too much acid in the stomach, and the reasons for excess acid is usually a bacterial infection or prolonged use of NSAID painkillers like aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen. Smoking can also be a culprit. Ulcers ...

cause pain, most often when the stomach is empty or at night. The pain can in the chest, as low as the navel, or as high as the breastbone. Modern treatment is with medicine to kill bacterial infection and to block, suppress, or neutralize excess acid.