How common are ulcers?

Generally, ulcers are relatively common conditions. One in ten Americans will develop a peptic ulcer, which is what people usually think of when they think of ulcers, at some time in their lives. Canker sores, another type of ulcer, are considered such everyday occurrences that they are regarded as more of a painful annoyance.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
How common are refractory ulcers?
Peptic ulcers, which account for ulcers in the stomach, small intestine, and esophagus, are very com...
Can ulcers have any complications?
Michael S. Frist, MDMichael S. Frist, MD
Peptic ulcers are ulcers that occur in either the stomach or first portion of the small intestine (d...
What Are the Treatment Options for Ulcers?