How common are refractory ulcers?

Peptic ulcers, which account for ulcers in the stomach, small intestine, and esophagus, are very common disorders. In fact, around 10 percent of people in America will suffer from one of these ulcers at some point in their lives. Refractory ulcers, however, are not very common. Refractory ulcers occur when peptic ulcers fail to respond to treatment. Since most peptic ulcers respond well to treatment, refractory ulcers are the minority.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
What is a stomach ulcer?
A stomach ulcer is a sore or erosion that develops on the lining of the stomach. Ulcers can also dev...
How can peptic ulcers be prevented?
Some kinds of peptic ulcers are easier to prevent than others. Stress can make you more susceptible ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Ulcers?