How are peptic ulcers diagnosed?

Peptic ulcers are often diagnosed through endoscopy or x-ray. An endoscope is a camera at the end of a long tube. The doctor guides the endoscope from the throat into the stomach and uses the camera to look for the ulcers. In the x-ray test, the patient first swallows a barium solution that helps reveal ulcers. Peptic ulcers can also be diagnosed by breath tests, blood tests, or stool tests that can identify the bacteria Helicobacter pylori or its antibodies.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
What is a duodenal ulcer?
A duodenal ulcer is a kind of peptic ulcer in which a sore is formed in the duodenum, or the first p...
Can ulcers have any complications?
Michael S. Frist, MDMichael S. Frist, MD
Peptic ulcers are ulcers that occur in either the stomach or first portion of the small intestine (d...
What is an Ulcer?
What is an Ulcer?