Are refractory ulcers serious?

Although they can be painful, ulcers that fail to heal are not, in themselves, serious. However, refractory ulcers are occasionally signs of a larger problem, like stomach cancer. When doctors are presented with a refractory ulcer, they generally attempt to determine whether or not underlying conditions exist. In addition, refractory ulcers can be serious if they become complicated, causing bleeding, scarring or perforating the lining of the organ they affect. In these cases, additional treatments are usually necessary.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
What is a duodenal ulcer?
A duodenal ulcer is a kind of peptic ulcer in which a sore is formed in the duodenum, or the first p...
Are duodenal ulcers serious?
In most causes, duodenal ulcers are not serious. They usually respond well to treatment and do n...
What Are the Treatment Options for Ulcers?