Are Meckel's diverticulum ulcers serious?

By itself, a Meckel's diverticulum is not serious and only results in complications for 4.2 percent of those who it affects. But when you start developing Meckel's diverticulum ulcers, the situation can get serious. Most times the presence of ulcers allows early detection and calls for speedy removal. In some cases, people with rectal bleeding because of their ulcers need blood transfusions or iron replacements.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
How can peptic ulcers be prevented?
Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MDDr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Find out your Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) status if you have symptoms suggestive of an ulcer, do...
What headache drugs are safe for bleeding ulcers and peptic ulcer disease?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
Before we address what you can take for pain and what you should avoid, first consider the two main ...
What is an Ulcer?
What is an Ulcer?