Are Meckel's diverticulum ulcers serious?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

By itself, a Meckel's diverticulum is not serious and only results in complications for 4.2 percent of those who it affects. But when you start developing Meckel's diverticulum ulcers, the situation can get serious. Most times the presence of ulcers allows early detection and calls for speedy removal. In some cases, people with rectal bleeding because of their ulcers need blood transfusions or iron replacements.

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
Are duodenal ulcers serious?
In most causes, duodenal ulcers are not serious. They usually respond well to treatment and do n...
What is a penetrating ulcer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
A penetrating ulcer, also called penetrating atherosclerotic ulcer, is a rare condition that most co...
How Do People Get Ulcers and What Cures Them?