Will treatment for fulminant colitis require surgery?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Fulminant colitis is a rare but life-threatening form of ulcerative colitis. It requires intense medical treatment, usually in a hospital. If the person had previously been taking antidiarrheal drugs, that is stopped. Due to the severe and often bloody diarrhea, electrolytes, fluids, and blood may be delivered by IV. Corticosteroids and antibiotics are prescribed. If there is not significant improvement in symptoms after 24 to 48 hours of intense treatment, then surgery likely will be required to prevent death from sepsis (a bloodstream infection) caused by bacteria or perforation of the intestine or colon.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

What Medications Are Used to Treat Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). When a person has UC, the inner lining of the colon (the large intestine) and t...
What are the side effects of aminosalicylates?
Side effects may include fever, headaches, respiratory inflammation, muscle aches and pains, abdomin...
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
Life with UC has its struggles—and also its triumphs. Here's one patient's story. When I was 14 years old, my family physician demanded the gastroente...
How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect My Body?