Who gets ulcerative colitis?

While the cause of inflammatory bowel disease (including ulcerative colitis) remains unclear, there does appear to be a genetic component, meaning that the disease runs in families. In fact, about 15-30 percent of people with IBD have a family member with the condition. Typically, people are first diagnosed with IBD in their late teens to early twenties, but people may develop the condition at any age.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

What You Need to Know About Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative colitis (UC) is one of the two main types of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), a chronic condition that affects an estimated 3 million adul...
Are there alternative treatments for ulcerative proctitis?
In addition to medication, some alternative treatments may help ease the symptoms of ulcerative proc...
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
Life with UC has its struggles—and also its triumphs. Here's one patient's story. When I was 14 years old, my family physician demanded the gastroente...
What Can I Do to Feel Better If I Have Ulcerative Colitis?