When should I call my doctor if I have ulcerative colitis?

If you have ulcerative colitis you should call your doctor when you are exhibiting any symptoms of the disease. Symptoms of ulcerative colitis may be different depending on the extent of your disease process and depending on when the disease was diagnosed. Symptoms that should trigger a call to your doctor may include:

• abdominal pain
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • cramping
  • blood in the stool or vomit
  • urinary discomfort
RealAge
Administration Specialist

If you have ulcerative colitis, you should call your doctor for the following reasons:

• You are a woman and you have just found out you are pregnant or you would like to try to become pregnant soon. Some of the medications used to treat ulcerative colitis could be harmful to a developing fetus and your doctor can talk to you about changing your treatment regimen. (In some cases ulcerative colitis improves during pregnancy.)
  • You are experiencing heavy, persistent diarrhea.
  • You have constant pain and a high fever.
  • You have abdominal cramps.
  • You notice blood clots, blood, mucus and/or pus in your stool.
  • You have skin sores that do not heal.
  • You are experiencing joint pain that interferes with daily activities.
  • You have nausea and vomiting that lasts more than one day.
  • You have a sense of urgency when you have a bowel movement.
  • You awaken in the middle of the night to have a bowel movement.
  • You are not gaining weight although you need to (as in a growing child).
  • You are experiencing side effects from your medication for ulcerative colitis.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis