What are the different forms of ulcerative colitis?

There are three different forms of ulcerative colitis. The first form is called ulcerative proctitis, which is when the colitis is limited to only the rectum—the last 10 to 15 centimeters of your colon. Left-sided colitis is when you have colitis that goes all the way to your splenic flexure (the bend at the juncture in your colon between the transverse and descending colon), involving just your left colon. Pancolitis, or extensive colitis, is colitis that extends beyond the splenic flexure and involves the majority of the colon.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

Got Ulcerative Colitis? Make Sure to Protect Your Skin
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of ...
What is pancolitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Pancolitis is a disease that causes the lining of most or the entire colon to become inflamed. Panco...
When should I call my doctor if I have ulcerative colitis?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
If you have ulcerative colitis you should call your doctor when you are exhibiting any symptoms of t...
What Causes Ulcerative Colitis?
What Causes Ulcerative Colitis?