What causes ulcerative proctitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Doctors and researchers are not sure what causes ulcerative proctitis. Some believe that it is caused by the immune system's response to a viral or bacterial infection. It is also possible that it is an autoimmune response, which means that the body tries to fight off an infection that is not really there and ends up attacking itself instead. Genetic factors and heredity may play a role in ulcerative proctitis as well.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

Coping with the Mental and Emotional Burden of Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative colitis is a type of irritable bowel disease (IBD). Like other chronic illnesses, ulcerative colitis (UC) can take a toll on a person’s emo...
What are the symptoms of ulcerative colitis (UC)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
One symptom of ulcerative colitis (UC) is diarrhea. It happens because the gut can’t absorb water, s...
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
Life with UC has its struggles—and also its triumphs. Here's one patient's story. When I was 14 years old, my family physician demanded the gastroente...
What is the Treatment for Ulcerative Colitis?