What do I need to know about caring for someone with fulminant colitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Fulminant colitis is a rare and life-threatening form of ulcerative colitis. It requires immediate medical attention and treatment because complications can be deadly. Medical professionals will closely supervise anyone with this serious condition. If you are in a position to care for someone with this illness, a medical professional will provide direction. You may need to make sure the person takes medications correctly and on time and follows any other medical instructions, and you may need to provide emotional support.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

What Medications Are Used to Treat Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). When a person has UC, the inner lining of the colon (the large intestine) and t...
What are the benefits of fecal transplants for ulcerative colitis?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Fecal transplant, or fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT), is considered an experimental treatment...
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
Life with UC has its struggles—and also its triumphs. Here's one patient's story. When I was 14 years old, my family physician demanded the gastroente...
What Is Ulcerative Colitis?
What Is Ulcerative Colitis?