How do medications treat fulminant colitis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Fulminant colitis is a severe form of ulcerative colitis. It requires aggressive treatment, which includes a variety of medications. Antidiarrheal drugs treat or prevent diarrhea. It should be noted that toxic megacolon is a possible complication of fulminant colitis. If that condition occurs, antidiarrheal medications are stopped. Anti-inflammatory drugs are used to modulate inflammation of the digestive tract. Since an overactive immune system is thought to be a possible cause for ulcerative colitis, immunomodulating drugs are used to alter the immune system to maintain remission for those with ulcerative colitis. Antibiotics may be prescribed to fight infection. Iron supplements may be used to combat anemia. Pain medications also are prescribed to relieve pain.

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

Ulcerative Colitis: Topics to Discuss at Your Next Appointment
Ulcerative colitis (UC) is one of the two main types of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If you are living with UC, it is important to seek treatment...
When should I call my doctor if I have ulcerative colitis?
If you have ulcerative colitis, you should call your doctor for the following reasons: You are a ...
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
What It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative ColitisWhat It's Really Like Living With Ulcerative Colitis
Life with UC has its struggles—and also its triumphs. Here's one patient's story. When I was 14 years old, my family physician demanded the gastroente...
What Is Ulcerative Colitis?
What Is Ulcerative Colitis?