What is the difference between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease?

Ulcerative colitis is the inflammation of the innermost lining of the large intestine and/or rectum. Crohn's disease is the inflammation of the lining and walls of the large and/or small intestine. It may also affect other parts of the digestive system and can spread deep into the tissue.

Traditionally, these two conditions were thought to be distinct types of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). However, IBD researchers are beginning to think of IBD as a spectrum (or range) of diseases that affect the intestines.

Thus, some people may only have symptoms of ulcerative colitis or symptoms of Crohn's disease, while others may have symptoms of both conditions (known as "indeterminate colitis").

Continue Learning about Ulcerative Colitis

What Is Ulcerative Colitis?
What Is Ulcerative Colitis?
How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect My Body?
What Is the Difference Between Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease?
What is the Treatment for Ulcerative Colitis?