How can I make my walking technique faster and more efficient?

It’s all about rate of progression. Start slow and gradually increase your walking speed over time. Do not try to go too fast initially or you’ll burn yourself out. Set a predetermined distance and every time you walk try to beat your time by 30 seconds to one minute. As you keep challenging yourself, your pace will quicken.

In addition, focus your attention on your walking technique. You want to keep your feet pointing straight ahead. Correct your foot posture if you notice your feet turning out. Lastly, your arm swing should be front-to-back rather than sideways across your chest. A front-to-back arm swing will help propel your body forward.

Continue Learning about Types of Walking

How should I do a mindful walk?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Try a mindful walk two to three times a week, preferably in green space like a park or nature preser...
What is race walking?
Shelley Chermak - Elite Trainer, RNShelley Chermak - Elite Trainer, RN
Race walking is a competetitive athletic event.  It is a foot race where one of the feet must be on ...
Why should I do the walk-the-walk exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The walk the walk exercise, which activates proper gluteal function and improves femur (thigh bone) ...
How can I train for a walking race?
In preparation for a walking race start by gradually increasing mileage and pace until you reach app...