What exercises can I do if I have a hip or knee injury?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
If you like to exercise regularly but need to give your hip or knee a rest while an injury heals, here are some exercises you can do in the meantime. You can combine these exercises to create a routine lasting 30 minutes or longer:
  • Floor exercises, including abdominal curls, crunches, push-ups, or leg lifts
  • Hand weight routines, including repeated lifting of small hand weights in different directions
  • Exercise ball routines, including stretches, abdominal curls, or leg lifts
  • Swimming
  • Gentle yoga
  • Bicycling, walking on level ground or on an elliptical trainer

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Transform Your Body in Three Easy Moves
Transform Your Body in Three Easy Moves
One of the hardest things about exercise isn’t that it’s hard, or that it makes you sweaty. It’s that it’s so difficult to know whether you’re making ...
What are the benefits of a workout that combines different activities?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
Like having the same breakfast every day, doing the same workout is boring! Dr. Oz's personal traine...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
Dr. Oz: Morning Workout
Dr. Oz: Morning Workout