What are the benefits of more intense exercise?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Being moderate—at least in terms of the intensity of an activity—wins you most of the health gains offered by exercise. Switching to vigorous activities offers enhanced benefits, such as greater protection against breast and colon cancers; better control of blood lipids like high density lipoprotein (HDL) and low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol; a marked drop in insulin levels; and, for men, a zippier sex life, since it lessens the likelihood of erectile dysfunction. Pushing yourself harder can bring many enjoyable recreational options into reach. It's a necessity if you're hoping to run a race or triathlon. Plus it can help you burn extra calories—or trim the time you spend exercising if you prefer, since one minute of vigorous exercise equals two minutes of moderate exercise.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

60-Second Workouts
60-Second Workouts
You can do a lot in 60 seconds, like whip up a smoothie, update your Facebook status or find out if that plastic stick you just peed on is going to tu...
Lunges hurt my knees, are there different exercises I can use?
Deb Froehlich , NASM Elite TrainerDeb Froehlich , NASM Elite Trainer
If lunges hurt your knees, chances are you may be bending at your knees first which drives your knee...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
4 Easy Ways to Boost Your Physical Activity