What tools are available for balance exercises?

Some of the tools that you can use for balance training, include the following:  balance beam, half foam roll, airex pad, dyna disc or a balance board.  You can even use items that you have at home:  pillow, stairs or a book. 

The key to balance training is continuing to challenge yourself to improve your proprioception, which will help prevent injury during your daily activities.

Some of the more common balance tools for exercising include balance pads, BOSUs, wobble boards, mini trampolines & beams.  These balancing tools are great for doing ground based exercises like single leg standing, step ups, squats and athletic movements.

Foam rollers and stability balls are great for doing traditional core exercises like crunches and back extensions as well as working movements from lying and seated postures.

Many tools can be used to continue to challenge the balance such as: a soft mat, a balance beam, a half foam roll, an air-filled disk, a wobble board, or a BOSU ball. Your goal should be to challenge your balance to the point where you are still able to control your movements, but might be a little wobbly. Taking your body too far out of balance will increase your risk of injury.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Cross-Training for Runners and Walkers
It’s no secret—runners love to run. Got an extra 15 minutes? To a runner, that’s enough time to lace up and grab a mile or more. And while running or ...
How hard should I be working when I do my cardiorespiratory exercise?
The difficulty of your cardiorespiratory program really depends on what goal you are trying to achie...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
The Right Way to Lift Weights
The Right Way to Lift Weights