I am taking strengthening classes. Is it better to use free weights?

Free weights offer more challenges to the body than do machines. When you use a machine the weight is stabilized and balanced by the machine and only requires you to pull or push the weight. When you use free weights you have to balance and stabilize the free weights against gravity. Because you have to balance and stabilize free weights this makes them harder and provides more benefits over machine weights alone. So yes whenever you can, use free weights instead of machines.

If you are enjoying the classes then I would stick with it. You have to enjoy the experience to stick with the program. If it starts to get stale, try free weights. You have access through Dr Oz’s 11 Weeks To Move It And Lose It In 2011 to a comprehensive exercise library. Good luck!

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs