If I don't have access to specialized balance equipment, what can I do?

Balance training does not have to involve expensive, specialized equipment.  Simply using a single-leg stance will work.  You can also use items found around the house such as small pillows.
Casey Smith
Sports Medicine
The use of specialized balance equipment is often done at the expense of good form.  Too many times I have seen people in the gym or training room struggling to do basic movements on unstable surfaces, when it appears that they cannot perform the basic movement in a controlled environment.  Balance discs, foam pads, foam rolls, etc. should be items that are worked up to over time.  There are many ways to increase the difficulty of a balance exercise on a flat, stable surface.  Adding or increasing external resistance, changing planes of movement, reducing or eliminating visual input, performing the exercise for time versus repetitions are all excellent ways to challenge and enhance your proprioceptive feedback without expensive, specialized equipment.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

60-Second Workouts
60-Second Workouts
You can do a lot in 60 seconds, like whip up a smoothie, update your Facebook status or find out if that plastic stick you just peed on is going to tu...
How can I find out more about hip hop exercises?
Deb Froehlich , NASM Elite TrainerDeb Froehlich , NASM Elite Trainer
Not sure if this will answer your question, but Beachbody the group that has produced P90X along wit...
Why You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in Hawaii
Why You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in Hawaii
Hawaii’s year-round sunshine makes it the perfect climate to play in the sun while burning calories. One of the benefits to living in the tropics is c...
3 Exercises for Better Pain Relief
3 Exercises for Better Pain Relief