How do I perform a standing cable flexion and extension?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
When performing a standing cable flexion and extension exercise, you want to first choose a weight on the cable that you want to use. Next, stand with your feet hip width apart and pointed straight ahead. Be sure to draw-in your belly button and keep your neck relaxed. Next, if focusing on your back and shoulders, face the machine with your arms straight and at eye level. Slowly lower your arms down to the sides of your hips. Pause and then slowly bring your arms back to the starting position. Perform this for the desired number of repetitions and sets.

To perform standing cable flexion and extension, you must first know what muscle group you’d like to work. For instance, if working the latissimus dorsi and rear deltoids (back and shoulders), stand facing the cable machine with arms extended. The bar should be at or above eye level. Keeping the arms extended, slowly pull the bar down towards your pelvis. Hold it for one second, and then slowly bring the bar back to its starting position. Perform this for the desired amount of repetitions.

Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
One can flex and extend various muscles group in a standing position using a cable weight machine.  It's important to know which muscle group you want to flex and extend.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs