If I am trying to gain muscle, do I need to stretch after a workout?

According to the acute variables required for muscular hypertrophy (getting bigger), stretching is not on this list. Muscle gain is generally defined the combination of several variables which include intensity, repetitions, tempo, sets, rest, frequency, duration, and nutrition. Research and texts do not mention stretching as a variable that will help increase muscle size. However, I would like to make a case for it! Limited flexibility can lead to muscle imbalances, altered muscular recruitment patterns, poor joint movements, increased scar tissue and adhesions, leading to a decrease in strength. All of these possible phenomenons can certainly limit muscular growth.  They can also lead to injury which is the one sure way to keep you from reaching your size goals.

Absolutely. Static stretching after a workout is important to obtain the best results. Static stretching is when you take a muscle to the first point of tension and hold it there for at least 30 seconds. When muscles are worked, they shorten; the stretching afterwards will help to return the muscles to their resting state and allow the body in general to return to a resting state. All of these factors will help to reduce the chance of injury and developing movement imbalances.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Cross-Training for Runners and Walkers
It’s no secret—runners love to run. Got an extra 15 minutes? To a runner, that’s enough time to lace up and grab a mile or more. And while running or ...
How to Dress for Winter Workouts
How to Dress for Winter Workouts
Transform YOU: Neck Stretch
Transform YOU: Neck Stretch
Want to Have More Energy? Baby Your Mitochondria