What is muscle confusion?

Muscle confusion is a term that has been made mainstream by the high intensity training program “P90X.” It is designed to provide numerous different demands on the body so that the body/muscles need to continue to adapt without accommodation – or getting used to it. Many resources refer to muscle confusion as an alarm reaction. There are numerous ways to provide so-called muscle confusion beside high intensity training programs. Ideally, you would employ a progressive systematic approach to achieve goals such as weight-loss, strength, or power gains.

The term "muscle confusion" was born on the premise that your body will respond to different types of demands placed upon it. Our muscles do not actually become "confused," but should be challenged in order to avoid a decrease in performance and/or strength gains. Your exercise program should be properly progressed to achieve a particular goal which will keep you from "hitting a plateau." This progression is important because your muscles will adapt to the same program and/or weight being used over time, so if the variables (such as load/intensity) do not change, neither will you. You are not confusing your muscles but training them to achieve different results. In other words, you get what you train for so you should change up your exercise routine by increasing the load, volume, reps, sets and/or intersity if you would like to see a change in your appearance, strength gains and/or overall performance.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

How Do I Perform a Leg Curl?
How Do I Perform a Leg Curl?
How Do I Perform a Side Shuffle?
How Do I Perform a Side Shuffle?
Wendy Batts - YTA's For Great Shoulders & Posture
Is Salsa Dancing a Good Workout?
Is Salsa Dancing a Good Workout?