What can I do if my lower back feels tight before I squat?

It is important to warm-up prior to exercising. The warm-up portion should only take 5-10 minutes of your time. The warm-up portion should consist of stretching, foam rolling and a light jog on a treadmill, bike, elliptical, etc. This will prevent your muscles, ligaments, joints and tendons from becoming injured. 

You may also want to seek out a fitness professional to do an assessment on how your body moves to determine the reason why your back may be tight prior to squatting. They can personalize a program that helps you reach your goals safely.

It is imperative to warm-up and stretch properly before squatting. I recommend an active stretching session with light dynamic activity to ensure optimal environment for performance. A good example might be 10 minutes of light cardio followed with by comprehensive session with a foam roller.

A proper warm-up can help loosen your lower back before exercise. A comprehensive warm-up will include a mix of stretches and dynamic activities to increase joint range of motion, circulation, and tissue temperature. Start by foam rolling the inner thighs, outer thighs, outer hip and latissimus dorsi (large back muscle) and holding on each muscle for roughly 30 seconds. Next, static stretch your inner thighs, hip flexors, and latissimus dorsi by holding each stretch for 30 seconds. After static stretching, perform some light strengthening activities such as tube walking, lunge with twist, and opposite arm opposite leg raise (bird dog).

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs