How can I stretch my hip flexors if they ache?

NASM recommends the static hip flexor stretch to increase flexibility of the hip flexor. To perform this stretch, do the following.

Preparation

1. Kneel with front and back legs bent at a 90-degree angle.
  2. Internally rotate back hip to target the psoas musculature or maintain a neutral position to target the rectus femoris.

Movement

1. Draw navel inward.
  2. Squeeze gluteal muscles of the side being stretched while rotating pelvis posteriorly.
  3. Slowly move body forward until a mild tension is achieved in the front of the hip being stretched.
  4. As a progression, raise arm, side bend to opposite side, and rotate posteriorly as illustrated.
  5. Hold for 30 seconds.
Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Hip flexors are often overdeveloped and chronically tense, causing achy hips. I tell my clients that they are often “alpha” in the body. The hip flexors take over, making other important muscles (such as the core) harder to access. The best way to stretch them is to take your leg the opposite direction of flexion into extension. Flexion is a deep bend at the hip (like sitting), while extension is drawing the leg back and unbending the hip. Crescent pose in yoga, or a deep runners lunge, are poses that open your psoas and other hip flexors. They are excellent stretches to incorporate regularly into your fitness routines. We do them every day at barre3.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.