How do I stretch after working my core?

Two post core exercises NASM recommends is the static hip flexor stretch and the static lat ball stretch.

Static Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch

Preparation

1. Kneel with front and back legs bent at a 90-degree angle.
  2. Internally rotate back hip to target the psoas musculature or maintain a neutral position to target the rectus femoris.

Movement

1. Draw navel inward.
  2. Squeeze gluteal muscles of the side being stretched while rotating pelvis posteriorly.
  3. Slowly move body forward until a mild tension is achieved in the front of the hip being stretched.
  4. As a progression, raise arm, side bend to opposite side, and rotate posteriorly as illustrated.
  5. Hold for 30 seconds.

Static Latissimus Dorsi Ball Stretch

Preparation

1. Kneel in front of a stability ball.
  2. Place one arm on ball, with thumb pointed straight up in the air.

Movement

1. Draw navel upward.
  2. Posteriorly rotate the pelvis to slightly round the back.
  3. Slowly reach the arm straight out by rolling the ball forward.
  4. Hold for 30 seconds.

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
A good counter posture after core work is a back bend such as bridge pose to strengthen the back body while stretching the front body. But before going into back bends, I like to start with a gentle twist such as lying on your back with knees to one side and head turned the opposite direction. Twists are a good way to transition the spine from forward folds (often done in core work) to back bends.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.