How do I perform a front lunge to balance?

Great exercise to build side to side (frontal plane) stability and overall balance. However, if pain is experienced when stepping forward into the lunge, more than likely your knee is tracking forward of your foot and you’re not bending at the hips first or enough. 

Bending at the hips right before bending at the knees will take quite a bit of pressure off the knees and spare them of unnecessary stress. 

A good way to learn to bend at the hips first and to correct this movement pattern is to step backward into the lunge instead of forward. Momentum and gravity assists with hip flexion prior to knee flexion and will keep you from leaning too far forward over your front knee.

Here's a link to a video that demonstrates the backward lunge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_AqJxQNqvo

Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart. Lift your chest, tuck in your chin and place your hands on your hips. Contract your glutes and lunge forward. Bend your front and back knees 90-degrees with your front foot placed flat on the ground and your back heel lifted. Push off the heel of your front foot, straighten your leg and lift your opposite leg until your hip and knee are flexed 90-degrees. Hold for a few seconds and then return to the starting position.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

2 Cures for Embarrassing Arm Flap!
2 Cures for Embarrassing Arm Flap!
It has happened to many of us. You go to wave at a friend across a crowded room and for what seems like minutes after your hand has stopped moving, so...
How can I exercise if I have a knee injury?
Many would-be exercisers are sidelined by painful knee injuries. In this video, Dr. Oz's personal tr...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
What Is the Integrative Side of Treating Parkinson's Disease?