As a basketball player, how can I increase my lower body power?

Power exercises are those exercises that can be performed at fast, explosive tempos usually with a relatively light load.  This allows you to be able to generate force quickly, which is ultimately the definition of power. An example of a good lower body power exercise is the squat jump. To perform this exercise, stand in a good athletic position (ankles, knees, and hips slightly bent). Then, with your stomach pulled in, squat down and jump up as forcefully as you can. Land softly and repeat. Other exampleos of lower body power exercises are box jumps, tuck jumps, power step-ups, single leg/double leg cone hops, and ice skaters. When power training, perform 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 10 repetitions of each exercise twice a week. It will be important to note that before you perform lower body power exercises, you'll want to develop good stability and strength through your lower body. Once this has been developed, you will be ready to perform power exercises.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.